Saturday, March 03, 2007

untitled

I almost failed Grade 2.

My behaviour was out of control.

I couldn't follow basic instructions.

 

I used to love,

LOVE

A boy in my class named "Trevor".

 

He was bad like me.

He had very pretty eyes

And buck teeth.

He reminded me of a bunny rabbit.

 

He could run the fastest out of everyone.

This impressed the hell out of me.

I fancied myself as pretty fast

In that era.

 

I spent almost the entire year

Chasing that boy around the school yard.

I could never catch him.

 

Sometimes he would almost let me,

But at the last, critical moment

He’d break away and fly off.

 

Leaving me choked with frustration,

But watching him with such heart-felt admiration for his athletic

Ability.

 

We did this everyday.

He'd usually come up and kick me for no reason; I'd pretend to get mad

And that signified that the chase was on.

 

Grade 2 was shit.

It was at that time I started thinking about death.

 

This one day I actually caught Trevor.

When I caught him,

I slammed him up against a brick wall

And stared deeply into his eyes.

 

We were both out of breath,

My heart was racing.

 

Impulsively,

He grabbed me by my ponytail

And kissed me

On my mouth.

 

I slapped him

And ran away.

 

After that incident,

Things were awkward between us.

We never so much as looked at each other ever again.

 

The chase was finally over.

I felt a profound sense of loss.

 

Recess was so boring and lonely

After that.

Even though I was only seven

I suffered incredibly.

 

By the third grade,

My family moved away

And I never saw Trevor after that.

 

Although I though about him

Almost every day

Until about grade five.

 

He was really fast

I mean crazy fast.

I never knew how I even managed to catch him that one time.

 

But then today,

As I was driving my car,

This distant memory spontaneously

Popped into my mind.

 

It finally dawned on me,

That

He actually probably wanted to get caught.

Did it on purpose even.

 

It only took me 23 years

To figure that out.

 

 

by anastasia niro

1 comment:

  1. beautiful poem... i wonder where u got this particular gem from :)

    ReplyDelete