Monday, June 18, 2007

Smoking in Dubai

I am a smoker, I enjoy smoking, I ask people politely if they mind me smoking (anyone around)but I was I don't know what to call it, stunned? When I saw, not a 4 year old, but rather a baby, in a closed place servng shisha.

That and the beautiful scene of another baby in the front seat on mummy's lap the car moving.I'm not religiously fanatic about a lot of things, but when it comes to babies who cannot make their own decisions... I can't take it.

The funny thing is: I was at DIFC in the parking, when the security guard asked my to put out my cigarette! I guess cigarette smoke MUST be more harmful than exhaust smoke...

I respect that each individual nust have their rights respected, so please let us not forget some smokers' rights. The thing is there are only a few countries around the world that allow smoking, since Dubai & the UAE is a haven, perhaps it should be less stringent than others on this issue.

Before ANYONE preaches... here goes: we have had cancer in the family, both throat and breast... we have asthma and many other illness including heart disease oh and they're either hereditory (the heart) OR due to the effects of the war on Iraq (the cancer)- so PLEASE I really do know the effects of smoking, including the effects of EVERYTHING else that can kill us, like drunk driving, reckless driving, heat exhaustion, stress, junk food, any food and all other things that tax us as a part of simply being alive...

We will all eventually take the long road goodbye so perhaps since the whole world is going to hell, let us in some way try and live in a demise of civilized peace here in th UAE.AAAAAh there... got it of my heart..one more thing, a guy once wrote a letter to 7 days naming ALL the statistics that are behind the death caused by driving cars compared to smoking; obviously more (which is why I mentioned it) and he asked a question:

"are they gonna ban cars?"

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm I like this.. very from-the-heart.. not your typical post about someone else.

    personal.

    btw, i didn't imagine u as a smoker.. mind you.. those intellectual types always end up smoking :)

    As a non-smoker I believe the solution to these things is to restrict and regulate smoking not just banning it.

    We're going thru it also in the UK and i think it's a bit stupid to be honest..

    you asked if they were ban driving.. the equivalent in the UK would be to ban drinking.. then the smoking ban will be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smoking doesn't kill you!

    It only takes away the last 10 years of your life, and who wants to live that whilst pissing in your own bed and being unable to take care of yourself.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete