Sunday, June 13, 2004

Strength of a Woman

A piece is missing…

 

my mom travelled on Thursday and she’ll be away for a couple of months… I feel a hollowness. Though we barely see each other for long during the day, it’s reassuring to know that she’s there; My tower of strength, my role model.

 

What is noticeable, is that people who know our relationship, m mom and I, will be at least a teeny bit surprised. Most people (Mom included) think that I may not love her as much as I should. They cannot be more mistaken!

 

I have just applied one of her biggest lessons. Be strong. Of that I have to confess that I am tired.

 

She travels back to Canada once a year. It’s been a year already! Lat year this time I was preparing to go to my friends wedding in Beirut. That was a fun few days!

 

When I was much younger at school, it use to fascinate me and surprise me that some of the kids’ moms don’t work! As I grew older, I realized that my mom was the exception (especially in the Arab world!).  Being truly exceptional she was in field dominated internationally by the male populace. My mom is a civil engineer. When I say it, even today, my shoulders push back and I beam with joy.  So no wonder I grew up thinking that women are on equal par as men, and what a devastating surprise it is to learn that not all mommies are career women and not all men like my sweet daddy can actually accept, appreciate and thrive on having a partner so equal in the mental scale and on the career path (again I emphasize ESPECIALLY ARABS!).

 

So ideally this is great! Then I grew up and found out that a lot (I know not all) of men AND (unfortunately) women are very much against this semi equality in the work force. My mom is of the many other dynamic strong women in my family (both sides): Gynaecologist, Biochemist, Executive Assistant, Home Care, Dentist, Teacher, Statistician, Civil Engineer(s) and Network Engineer. One of the greatest towers of strength is my Grandma (my dad’s mom). To see her now, I stumble in front of the humility bestowed on us by God Almighty.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment