Saturday, June 19, 2004

What is it with me and date palms?
it's probably just the Iraqi in me...
They stand so tall rising with their glorious green fronds reaching for the heavens...


Dubai Internet City by night
Posted by Hello

Although they are mighty in their stance, they remind me of their cousins in Iraq some at least three times as tall as the ones here in Dubai, those must be younger. I am sure they will one day reach for the stars for they are no less glorious than any I've seen elsewhere...

The magnificent ones that call me every time I see a date palm seem to recall a memory of childhood holidays and long weekends in Iraq, of moonlit nights on the corniche in Basra, the jasmine scented streets of Towaissah next to my uncles house, of bright midday’s passing through Samawa heading towards Baghdad, of the road next to my grandfathers house... 'The Four Roads' it's called in the Al Karrada district of Baghdad as if I never left the one thousand and one nights of my past life...


No comments:

Post a Comment