Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Paulo Coelho and 'The Alchemist"

“Maya Delic; my friend, was the most appropriate person to introduce me to ‘The Alchemist’ when I was 26, she embodied the serene and gentle spirituality of the story, as well as the childish playfulness of the protagonist, though mostly she reflected the hidden innocent wisdom that dawns upon one each time the book is closed shut. As the titles become more tantalizing we use to rush out to see who buys the next book first. Yet, with the fondness of a childhood memory, I cannot say that any have captured my soul more so. I have read it and re-read it as often as one flicks through their photo album of black & whites that have aged into sepia.

 

With each sentence, a smile flowers as one recalls the first time that phrase was read, or the sentiment when that sentence was completed, or even the anticipation, excitement and perhaps disappointment with the protagonist’s decision.

 

As I reach for it every now and then, a new meaning develops and it becomes more of a guide to my current journey through this age. As such, I have gifted the book to as many people as I have mentioned it to with a feeling that it is I who has to thank them for allowing me to take them on an adventure that reminds me Baghdad and the tales of 1001 nights.”

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite books. I also read it in one setting, and it happened in a very happy time in my life. ahh I think it's time time to re-read it and remember.

    ReplyDelete