Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Cry Me A River...


Last night…

Last night I slept to “Tell me your secrets, tell me your fantasy, tell me what you’re afraid of…” ‘He’ said these were the lyrics to a Madonna song, probably ‘Erotica’. And as he went on to tell me fairytales that I recall none of, I drifted away in to a deep slumber.

This morning I awoke to a million and one calls… And when I answer with sleep in my voice, they apologize shyly for awakening me and having forgotten that I’d taken two weeks of work.

This morning, I awoke to a “He” who decided to tell me the lyrics of another song to express himself, which he found too difficult to do with his own words and told me: 'you know the song by Michael Bolton?" so I asked which song? and fell into that. “… Have I told you lately...” and before he could complete the sentence I asked him to stop... I couldn’t bear the weight of that on my conscience. After knowing each other for nearly six years, he wanted to say it now!?!.

Why now?

He accused me of pushing him away every time he wanted to get closer… unfortunately; this is beginning to sound all too familiar; it seems to be the trend…

You tell me, whom should I whisper my secrets to? To whose voice should I fall asleep and to whose smile I should wake up… tell me to whom should I murmur my honeysuckle sweet love and whose breath should I draw…

Many years ago, in Montreal, Kevin was frustrated with me, frustrated to the point of… aaahhh well … let sleeping dogs lie… He said: ‘you’re a fucking coward, you’re too fucking afraid of commitment that’s why you keep doing these things”. “These things” being, pushing him away, and telling him the million and one reason why I cannot be with him etc… He’d then goes gets drunk and attempts a multitude of follies.

So you again, tell me, tell me your fears, tell me your secrets, ‘cause I’ve got secrets too… Tell me how much you love me, ‘cause you know how much..

"Now you say you’re lonely
You cry the long night through
Well, you can cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you

Now you say you’re sorry
For being so untrue
Well, you can cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
While you never shed a tear
Remember, I remember, all that you said?
You told me love was too plebeian
Told me you were through with me and

Now you say you love me
Well, just to prove that you do
Come on and cry me a river
Cry me a river
I cried a river over you
I cried a river over you
I cried a river...over you..."

to listen, click on CASSANDRE 159a CRY.mp3

Words and music by Arthur Hamilton,1953.

No comments:

Post a Comment